Before the Consultation
Please call Southern Neurology reception on (02) 8566 1500 to book an appointment. Please specify if you would like to book a consultation with one of our doctors or for a diagnostic test. It will be helpful if you can provide the details of your referring doctor when booking. If an urgent appointment is required, please have your referring doctor contact our team directly.
What to bring to the consultation
- Your referral letter
- A list of medications and doses (including supplements) that you take
- Your pathology results eg blood tests
- Your scans relevant to the presenting problem eg. MRI, CTs
- Other previous test results (eg EEGs, nerve studies)
- Correspondence and letters from previous doctors if relevant
- Your Medicare card, Private Health Insurance Information, DVA Card or Pension Card (if applicable).
What to expect during the consultation
New consultations may take between 30-45 minutes depending on the complexity of the presentation and issue(s), and will involve a comprehensive assessment including a detailed review of your symptoms, medical history and physical examination. Depending on the case, the doctor may also decide to perform a nerve conduction study and EMG that will assist in diagnosing the problem. At the end of the consultation, the doctor will explain his or her thoughts about your presentation and discuss the likly diagnosis together with a plan of investigation(s) and treatment. A detailed report will be sent back to your referring doctor usually within 1-2 weeks.
Useful Resources and Links