Our team of Neurologists at Southern Neurology have all the necessary skills and are highly experienced at managing a broad range of neurological conditions. In addition, each neurologist has specialised interests and training in specific areas of neurology - for more information, check out our doctors' profiles.
Conditions that we treat (but not limited to) include:
- Headaches and Migraine
- Epilepsy and seizures
- Neuropathy including carpal tunnel syndrome and peripheral neuropathy
- Multiple Sclerosis and other inflammatory conditions of the brain and spinal cord
- Parkinson's disease, tremors and other movement disorders
- Motor neuron disease and related disorders
- Neck and back pains with nerve root impingement
- Alzheimer's and other dementia syndromes
- Inflammatory nerve and muscle disorders
- Nerve conduction studies (NCS) and electromyography (EMG)
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Vestibular function testing (VFT)
- Evoked potentials including
- Somatosensory (SSEP)
- Visual (VEP)
- Brainstem auditory (BAEP)
Botulinum Toxin Injections
Botulinum toxin injections are offered for the therapeutic management of a number of neurological conditions including:
- Hemifacial and blepharospasm
- Cervical and other dystonias such as writer's cramp
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Spasticity of the limb from stroke or cerebral palsy
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Sialorrhea (excessive salivation)
Clinical Trials and Research
As part of the comprehensive service that Southern Neurology provides, we also participate in investigator driven and industry sponsored clinical trials. This provides our patients with the opportunity to have access to potential new therapies for a number of neurological conditions.
Access our latest research and clinical trials below.
Physiotherapy for headaches and migraine
It is now commonly understood that headaches and migraines are caused by a sensitised nervous system, specifically hypersensitivity of the brainstem region. As brainstem sensitisation reaches a certain threshold it will bring on a headache or migraine episode. While there are many factors that can increase this sensitivity, the upper neck is often a major contributor. Rob Wallis is an experienced physiotherapist who specialises in The Watson Headache Approach which is used to identify a problem with the upper neck and then treat this problem to decrease brainstem sensitivity and can complement pharmacological approaches to headache and migraine management.
Using psychological therapy techniques with a strong scientific evidence base, Dr Gus Norris works with his clients in order to help them to develop the knowledge and skills to assist them to overcome these mental health difficulties and to function better in their daily lives. In this way, he helps his clients to prevent excessive stress, mental health difficulties, and interpersonal and other problems from developing and to achieve healthy life goals. Gus primarily employs cognitive behavioural therapy that assists people to understand the relationships between their thought processes, emotions and behaviours. The client and therapist work together on developing a shared understanding of the relationships between problematic thought processes, behaviours and emotions and then employ effective strategies to create positive change.